Visit Villa de Leyva and take a journey through Colombian architecture
Villa de Leyva is a beautiful and authentic Colombian village northeast of Bogotá.. It is considered one of the most beautiful villages in Colombia and is known for its impressive white colonial buildings, cobbled streets and the beautiful Plaza Mayor.
Villa de Leyva was founded in 1572 under the name Villa de Santa Maria de Leyva and in 1954 recognized as a national monument.
In Villa de Leyva the colonial architecture is perfectly preserved and the village is surrounded by different landscapes. Here you find the typical atmosphere of central Colombia and it is an ideal place to relax.
Average temperature 18°C.
Comfortable clothing and shoes. Also bring a jacket as it can be cold at night.
How to get there?
From Bogotá, the drive to Villa de Leyva by bus or car takes 4 to 5 hours.
What does this place offer you?
• A perfectly preserved beautiful and picturesque village in colonial style, which makes you feel like you are in times gone by.
• Particularly beautiful nature.
• Outside Villa de Leyva the environment is ideal for adventurous sports.
What to do?
• Stroll through picturesque Villa de Leyva with its colonial buildings and cobbled streets.
• Enjoy outdoor sports such as horseback riding and abseiling.
• Explore the beautiful surroundings on a quad bike.
• Visit the Ain Karim vineyard, learn how the wine is made and taste the special result.
Typical local dishes
• Longaniza: a long sausage, filled with minced pork and herbs.
• Changua: a broth (soup) based on milk, eggs, onion, salt and coriander.
• Almojábana: a bread roll based on farmer's cheese and maize flour.
• Villa de Leyva is located at an altitude of more than 2100 meters. So it is recommended to take it easy.
• Use sun protection, also on cloudy days.
• In the village you will find various characteristic and cozy cafes and restaurants.
What else to see and do?
• Ráquira, a village full of colorful houses with artisans willing to sell you their products – 24 km from Villa de Leyva.
• El Pueblito Boyacense, where you will find a replica of the culture and architecture of the most representative places in the department of Boyacá – 96 km from Villa de Leyva.
• The Tota lagoon where you can visit Playa Blanca, the only beach in a cold environment by Colombian standards. You can also camp, hike and enjoy water sports – 143 km from Villa de Leyva.